Most of us have this doubt to decide the time when to move to VPS hosting (Virtual Private Server) plan from Shared hosting. I had this question always in my mind and I didn’t find the suitable answer anywhere. I don’t think anyone can answer exactly, because it should come from your experience and difficulties you face with current hosting plan.
VPS is better than Shared hosting but lower than Dedicated Server hosting plan. Three types on main hosting plans available currently according to my knowledge.
- Shared Hosting
- VPS – Virtual Private Server
- Dedicates Server
No one starts their brand new blog with VPS or Dedicated Server hosting plan at initial stage of blogging. Once your blog is becoming famous, then you can switch to VPS or Dedicated servers. The question is, when to move to VPS hosting plan?
My favorite blogger Daniel from dailyblogtips.com suggested as below,
I would say that when you reach $200 monthly or so you should consider getting a VPS (which costs around $40 monthly), and when you reach $500 monthly you should consider getting a dedicated server (which costs around $200 monthly).
Somehow, I do not fully agree with Daniel’s statement. Yes, hosting company and plan is very important for blogging business. No matter how many promotions you are doing, producing unique contents and doing some magic SEO tricks, but if your hosting plan is not well to manage the traffic and load, then all will be wasted.
Hosting plan is very important and you must invest good money on this, but if the current shared hosting is working fine without any issues to manage the traffic, then you can stick with it for some time. Because even a single dollar is money for us, isn’t it?
Can you believe still I’m running my tech blog on Shared hosting for 5 dollars per month? which is making 10,000 PVs daily and around 700 US dollars monthly? You might be shocked to here it. I have not faced any major issues with my shared hosting and current traffic.
Several factors pushed me to decide the move to a VPS hosting plan, which I did two days ago (Its an interesting learning). Here are the issues I faced and considering for long term plan.
Check these points and if you face the similar situation with your current shared hosting plan, then I suggest this is the time to move to VPS hosting from shared hosting.
Simple points to decide:
- Traffic increase rate is more than 30% and you already crossed 5000 Page Views (PVs) daily.
- Already crossed 8000 PVs daily.
- You started making 400$ to 500$ monthly, and monthly income rate is 30%. So, your blog is becoming very important to generate money, no matter how much is the traffic, but income is important. When a blog or website reached a state that, it can’t be down even for 10 seconds which will effect your whole business.
- Your site is becoming slow in loading with several plugins which make multiple PHP and SQL database requests. Your shared hosting will be struggling to make these requests, so time to go to VPS.
- Obviously, your site is down very frequently by overload.
- Comments are loading very slowly and posting new comments not working in first time or returning 404 not found error.
- Deleting comments, saving and publishing posts returning internal server error 500 inside wordpress dashboard.
- You got notification from shared hosting company that you have used the all resources for the current month.
- You are hosting multiple heavy multimedia contents including videos and files to download. Your blog requires more processor and bandwidth utilization for these types of hosting. Shared hosting is not good at all for this.
- No matter how much money you make or generate traffic, but you want a private server with full root access. Yes, then you can go for VPS hosting plan.
What else do you think?
I will be sharing my experience with moving shard hosting WordPress blog to VPS managed hosting plan in coming days.
What’s your experience with shared hosting? Why you moved to VPS plan?
Share you thoughts.